Pages

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Homemade Sausage Egg McMuffin Recipe

I woke up this morning craving grease. Perhaps it was that extra cocktail I had last night, but for whatever reason, I just had get my hands on a cholesterol-laden breakfast sandwich. Let me begin this with a full confession-- I have eaten a McDonalds Sausage McMuffin with Egg before, so let's get that one out in the open, and believe me, I am fully aware of the pink goo controversy as well as the chain restaurant's penchant for frying potatoes in beefy flavored oil. However, sometimes on rare occasion, I just don't feel like making breakfast for myself so I've hopped into my Honda and driven the full half mile to the Mickey D's for a McMuffin. Lazy, unhealthy and contributing to all that's wrong in the food world. I know.

So, this morning, I set out to make my own version and what a treat it was. I started by pan frying some Aidell's Sausage with Roasted Garlic and Gruyere along with an organic brown egg....
Then, I toasted up an English muffin....
Then, I stacked it up with a small slice of American cheese (for full Mickey D's effect, of course)...
...and, Voila! Runny egg, meets runny processed cheese in toasty, sausagy heaven.

©2011 Fatback and Foie Gras. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

Pin It Now!

9 comments:

  1. I so should not have clicked on the link for the pink goo. Yuck--just yuck. Your McMuffin looks vastly superior to the McDonald's kind, and hopefully it helped to soak up that extra cocktail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not made one of these in a while! I am going to put some whole hog sausage on the list for my first breakfast in 2012.

    E.A.T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It did a most excellent job of soaking up the booze, thank you :) Tim, let me know how it turns out with the whole hog sausage. BTW, where can you find that in RVA? My grandfather used to can his own sausage after a hog killing. Never had anything as good since.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my...I am craving one now. Made my own English Muffins last month...may have to do that again just for this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a gorgeous breakfast, yum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kendra, I know there are some claims to "Whole Hog" sausage in RVA but I believe it is a marketing term and pale in comparison to what you and I call whole hog. The whole hog sausage I get on occasion comes in a ziploc bag with "Country Sausage" written on it from a guy in Roanoke when he has it. I will let you know when I come across some and keep my eyes open.

    Happy New Year to you and yours!

    E.A.T.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I would love some Tim! Let me know what you find out. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just made one and it was absolutely delicious! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so Sarah! It's so much better than Mickey D's, no?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...